Christian Security Institute™

The Christian Security Institute (CSI) is a training company that trains church security teams. Each state in the U.S. has different security laws and regulations. What is legal in some states is illegal in others. In some states you only need a concealed carry license (or no license or permit at all) while other states deem it necessary to document that a person acting in a security person’s role be adequately trained in the various skills necessary to fulfill the role. Most people would agree that you need to know more than how to shoot a gun in order to fill that role.

Your security team training should include the state laws regarding breach of the peace and deadly force, de-escalation, non-lethal hand-to-hand defense techniques, intermediate weapons (pepper spray, Taser or expandable baton) and deadly force (handgun, shotgun, rifle). A program based solely on handguns is totally inadequate and at best very litigious. You may be held liable for failure to train, etc. Like to old saying; “If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.”

Let's look at the different options and see where or if we can meet your church's security training needs.

First look at your state's requirements. You need to know whether your state requires a “Security” license in order to provide security services.

This is NOT the same as a Concealed carry permit/license.
This is NOT whether it is legal to “Have a Gun in a Church”!

The issue is whether or not you can provide security services or act as a security guard without a Security Guard license. This tells you if your state requires a state Security license in order to provide security guards for you church. These are sometimes complex issues involving research into state laws and regulations. Most of the time neither the police nor your insurance provider have the expertise to answer. You will need to contact the state authorities that license security services, if any. This gets complex so please read the entire section.
Does your state fall into the "Regulated" or "Non-regulated" state?

Let's say your state does not regulate security at all. Then you may legally have armed guards with little training and no licenses other than what is required by your state to carry a weapon, but only for your church.

If your state is unregulated the issue is now; where does the liability lie? This issues usually begs the question of who is insuring this crew of gunmen? If an incident happens and everything goes good then, "Praise the Lord"! If things go terribly wrong then, well, I think you get the drift.

Most churches have an insurance company that carries the Casualty and Property policy. If your team is not required to have state Security licensing then you need to ask your insurance company if they will insure your Armed security team. If not, you need to look into other solutions, unless you and your church want to take a chance on bearing the liability directly.

If your state requires a license then you may need to attain a Security company license to legally deploy a team. Usually there is a required training, certification and licensing for each guard. Sometime this includes both unarmed and armed guards. Sometimes only armed guards.

Most states break this issue down into third party security guards or internal security guards. Sometime both are regulated, sometime not.

The internal guard service applies if your team supplies security guards for your church or company only. No other person or company/church.

The third party regulations apply if you are providing guard service for various people or companies or churches.

Can CSI help your church?

We look at each request state by state.

Regulated states:
Some state are regulated at the state level, whereas other states, like Colorado, are regulated at the city or county level. Colorado Springs requires a license to operate as a uniformed security guard but not as a plain clothes protection officer. In the City or County of Denver you are required to have a Merchant Guard license. The rest of the state is like the Wild West as anything goes.

If your state requires security licenses then we can either direct you towards how to attain that license yourself or expand our licenses to include your state. CSI is currently, or has the ability to be, licensed as a security company in Texas, Virginia and some other states. Depending on your state's requirements we can possibly help you.

If your state doesn't require licensing and your insurance provider can provide adequate coverage, then we can provide training for your team that includes all the skills necessary as mentioned above.

Now that you understand the issues, let me help you understand our programs that address the issues:

The “Gatekeepers Program™ ” - This program is specific to Texas and other regulated states. As a regulated state, Texas requires all armed security personnel to be state licensed security guards, working for a state licensed security company with a contract with the church to provide security services. The program fulfills all of these requirements. Click on the link to download the brochure describing the program requirements and cost. Link: Gatekeepers Program™

The “Gatekeeper – Church Security Operator” certification program is for churches that have insurance coverage for Armed security teams. This program is modeled after universally accepted law enforcement and security services training curriculum. It has all the facets of state laws regarding breach of the peace and deadly force, de-escalation, non-lethal hand-to-hand defense techniques, intermediate weapons (pepper spray, Taser or expandable baton), deadly force (handgun, shotgun, rifle) and the principles of protecting a third party. The program fulfils these recommended training topics. Click on the link to download the brochure describing the program requirements and cost. Link: Non-Regulated States

If you have additional questions please call to see if we can help you form a legal and well trained security team at (972) 712-8818.

The Christian Security Institute™ is licensed by the Texas Department of Public Safety as a Level 3 & 4 Training School. - Completed 4/30/2009 Lic# F01109